Small business owners have never had it easy, but 2020 has certainly made it that much harder. I had the pleasure of knowing several small business owners before I joined the ranks; so I had the privilege of insight.
There are positives and negatives in owning a business much like anything else in life. Some of the most liberating components of business ownership for me has been the freedom to curate, create and produce quality of content and product that I want to.
I put a lot of care and effort into what I do; and my desire to grow is what keeps me on my toes. That’s why when people make it abundantly clear that they think small business is code for “get a bargain” it can truly become disheartening.
The Truth of the Matter
Being a business owner is not as glorious as many might think it is. While there’s a joy that comes from autonomy and not having to answer to a boss; it’s still not an instant gratification. It takes time to research, secure licensing, registration for taxes, building a website, building inventory, marketing and managing social media for your business.
You are literally pouring your heart and soul into something and then presenting it to the world to see. You have no real way of knowing if what you’ve worked so hard on will be met with a warm reception. You can believe in yourself and your business and your product; but if there aren’t customers willing to believe; the journey can be a roller coaster ride.
You are Just as Worthy
As any big box brand or more known brand. I know how frustrating it is when people will spend their coins with larger brands without hesitation but in the same breath never shop your brand. Or they will wait until there is a sale before they visit your store. I know it can make you question yourself, creating self doubt; but you are just as worthy.
Even large brands had humble beginnings. Just because in your current season you may not be where you desire; please know your brand is still worthy. If you know you are pouring love, authenticity, and quality into what you do; YOUR BRAND IS WORTHY. Don’t let anyone make you feel otherwise.
I do my best to patron small businesses that carry products I use at least once. I’d like to give a very special thank you to the following brands for their excellent customer service, dope products and services as well as inspiring me in my own small business adventures. You are appreciated. (This list may be updated as my memory gets better LOL)
- Elle Dove by Lorenza James (Instagram: @designer_elledove)
- Rclx Universe aka Richee Luxe (Instagram: @rclxuniverse)
- Pearl Glow Custom Bath and Body (Instagram: @pearlglowcustombathandbody)
- Lita F. Styles (Instagram: @litafstyles_)
- Lady James Full Service Salon (Instagram: @ladyjamesfss)
- Christian Omeshun (Instagram: @christian_omeshun)
- Aya’de Health and Beauty (Instagram: @ayadehealthandbeauty)
- Lewm Beauty Lashes (Instagram: @lewmbeauty)
- Lynn’s Jewelry at a Glance (Instagram: @lynns_jewelery_at_a_glance)
- My Beautiful Fluff (Instagram: @shopmybeautifulfluff)
- Oyemwen (Instagram: @shopoyemwen)
- Apples Peaches Pears (Instagram: @applespeachespears)
- My Paper Kate (Instagram: @mypaperkate)